November 4, 2011

Reading in the rain.

photo source here


Well, not exactly. More like reading in my room while it was raining outside. But you get the general idea.

I love the rain. I love the moment right before a big storm, when dark, angry clouds roll in across the horizon and the wind makes the trees dance and my hair fly. My brothers and I love to make movies right before the storm, when there’s a palpable excitement and thrill in the air. When anything could happen. Then we race inside before the big downpour and wrap ourselves up in blankets and listen to the patter of rain on the roof. Secretly, I love it when the power goes out because there are no distractions. No TV or computer or phone or appliances. Just me and my family in the darkness with candles flickering on the table. Then, after the storm, I love walking outside and smelling the rain.
photo source here.
So yesterday I had my Old Testament final from 7 to 9. At night. This might possibly be the worst time to take a test. But I got through it! When it was over, I wasn't quite sure what to do. I decided to walk back to my room and when I went out along our corridor I realized it was raining. I was so giddy I did a little jig right there in the rain! This is the second time it has rained here in Jerusalem. I got ready for bed early and curled up with a good book. The rain was super loud and the room occasionally lit up with the lightening. I loved combining two of my favorite things: reading and the rain. 
photo source here.
The last good book I read was The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. Here's a quote from the book that I love. 

"Sometimes remembering will lead to a story, which makes it forever. That’s what stories are for. Stories are for joining the past to the future. Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can’t remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember except the story."

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! And I love reading in the rain! And I also love that quote! Oh, and I love you!! :)

    ReplyDelete