The first time, it was an adventure. Not exactly the best or happiest kind, but thrilling and heart-pounding nonetheless. I was in my bedroom getting ready for church when Hattie's voice came down the hall. "Um, guys. There's a cockroach in the kitchen."
There were actually two. One was upside down next to the fridge. We thought this meant it was dead, but we were wrong. Apparently cockroaches are not only nasty creatures with too many legs and long antennas that make strange clicky noises and that move alarmingly fast. They are also smart. While someone was whacking at the second cockroach as it scurried across the kitchen countertop, the "dead" cockroach started to move. Someone screamed (although this wasn't the first scream of the morning) and it was whacked immediately as well. Did you know that cockroaches are also surprisingly resilient bugs? Like, you've really got to hit it a bunch of times to kill it. And even then, we take it to the outside garbage because, precautions people.
Anyway, it took quite a few exhilarating moments to get rid of the two cockroaches. Then came the moment when we reviewed some basic sanitation guidelines to prevent future cockroaches from visiting our apartment. No dirty dishes in the sink. Ever. Take the trash out every night. Keep all doors and windows shut.
As roommates, we agreed to the rules. We felt confident they would solve our problem.
We were wrong.
A few days later, the cockroaches struck back. Amber was doing laundry one evening and surprise! She found one hanging out near the washing machine. It was disposed of. After much screaming.
Not even a week later, it was revenge of the cockroach, only this time in Hattie's room. Hattie's room, guys. That was slightly terrifying. The kitchen is one thing, but our bedrooms were too close for comfort.
I told my teacher the next day at school. She just laughed and said, "Oh, you got your 'Welcome to China Cockroach.'" Like it was no big deal. Welcome to China indeed.
Tonight, I walked into the kitchen to grab a granola bar. I pulled down my bag of snacks which I carefully looked through to make sure there was nothing in it. Ever since the first incident of the cockroach, I've been extra cautious with checking food, clothes, and kitchen stuff. It was all clear. I walked back to my room to grab something and when I came back, not 30 seconds later, there was a cockroach crawling up my bag of food. The last of my American snacks. The cockroaches had taken it too far. We whacked it really good this time.
It's been quite the adventure. But China, I think I'm over the cockroaches.
No comments:
Post a Comment