We'll be walking around the park, or on the bus, and a student from my group will say, "Guys, we're in China." And sometimes I'll think, "Woah, you're right. I AM in China. That's pretty crazy." Because anywhere you go in this world you can still get into a routine. The newness wears off and you find yourself tracing the same paths to work, school, the store, etc. Even half way around the world, in an oh-so-incredibly-hot-and-humid place, where coach roaches are your house buddies and women do tai chi on the streets early in the morning, you become accustomed to it. But I like when someone or something points out the fact that, "Hey! You're living somewhere in the world. You're doing cool stuff. You're alive!" Because it makes me appreciate life so much more.
I never thought I'd go to China. But being here, it's like I was always going to come. I try to take it all in. The noises of honking scooters, nighttime frogs, and drizzling rain. The sight of a lone man meditating near the lake's edge. The bombardment of a hundred different smells at the wet market: fresh watermelon, green vegetables I've never seen before, and dangling chicken feet.
Here, I see the very old and the very young together. A grandfather holding the hands of a toddler. A sharp juxtaposition of age. Children here are raised by an average of three adults: their parents and a grandparent. And families are small, often with just one or two siblings. But they are close. They care for each other.
Teaching has been an incredible experience so far. I teach 2 classes of 6th graders. Their English is very good. The little relationships we form make me smile. There's an innocence about these kids that is so refreshing. They always say hello when they enter the classroom and goodbye when they leave. They stand up when giving an answer. They are excited to learn. They are hilarious. They have the best names: Middle, Jaguar, KK, Yoyo, Cherry, Happy, Kitty, Yuki, and Electra, to name a few. Happy is obsessed with the game rock, paper, scissors. I didn't even know that was a thing. Every day she comes up to me and says, "Hi, Searle." And then she motions for a game of rock, paper, scissors. I always say, "Best out of 3." She usually wins.
Being a teacher is both terrifying and amazing. I love it. You're constantly learning. Sometimes you feel very confident and the next minute the kids are bouncing off the walls or a lesson flops and you wonder what the heck you're doing. But you learn the most from the challenging moments. And all it takes is one smile or thank you from a student that day and it's all worth it all over again.
On Friday I took a picture with both my classes. Pictures are my favorite souvenirs from a place. I didn't realize taking a picture could cause such chaos. The teacher, Ms. Dean, was trying to get the students to line up tallest to shortest, which immediately led to all the girls laughing because they were taller than the boys. And then we had to move the tables back so they wouldn't be in the picture. Which meant three children who were too slow to get up were suddenly pinned between the table and the wall. And all the students were laughing and Ms. Dean was yelling at them to "Knock it off!" and I was trying not to let her see me laugh. Kid humor. It's the greatest.
Almost half way through my time here in China, I can already see the impact it's having on me. China reminds me to be myself, to be ok with sweating, to not worry so much about what others think. It reminds me to bike more, and enjoy getting caught in the rain more. It reminds me to eat what I'm given with a smile, even if it's a pile of pig tails. (Ok, actually I didn't eat that.) China reminds me of a lot of the important lessons I've learned in life, but that I've forgotten or taken for granted.
I am grateful for the opportunities I have had in my life to visit different parts of the world and interact with so many good people. I am reminded of a thought by Gordon B. Hinckley.
No comments:
Post a Comment