Life in China goes on much like life back home. People hop on and off the bus. Grandmas walk their grandchildren slowly through the park. Cars race to and fro. Cafeteria food is slopped onto lunch trays. Students laugh in class.
Sometimes I forget I'm living in China. But then I hear my students chattering in Chinese, or I run from the bus to our apartment in the middle of a freaking monsoon and within 10 seconds I'm completely drenched, or I wake up and find a lizard on our kitchen wall. And I remind myself, this is China.
Yesterday, I was on the bus back home when the rain started. At first, it was just a drizzle. Then, a normal rainstorm. Then, a torrential downpour. Then, a monsoon. The progression happened over the space of a few blocks. I looked out the window and watched all the people zipping around on their scooters, mopeds, and bikes. Sooo many people ride scooters here in China. All the people on scooters were wearing rain ponchos. Not those flimsy little ones you pack in an emergency kit. We're talking flow blown head-to-toe ponchos, the ones where you can hardly see the persons face. It looked like a fleet of death eaters were zooming through the streets.
After the rain, because it never lasts too long, I went for a run around the park. Even though it was darker outside, I was sweating in no time. How neat is that?! There's a path around our lake that I went along. 1 mile once around. The second time around I passed a family of frogs jumping across the path. I thought they were just some leaves until one of them started moving!
Teaching gets better each day. I love my 2 classes. The kids have great names. Some of my favorites are Jaguar, Buffet, Candy, Elektra, YoYo, and Cherry. Mom, I'm thinking of naming my first born one of those. I'm already teaching at least half of the day. It's pretty intense how fast it's going. But I'm learning a lot! Teaching is great fun. Hard work, but so rewarding. I love hearing the students go "ahhhhhh!" when they get something.
After school today one of the teachers took us to Sam's Club. Who knew they'd have one in China?! Not exactly the same as the ones in the states, but pretty similar. The best part were all the free samples. :)
Life is good here in China.
I saw the little title of the post in my blogger dashboard thing and I KNEW it had to be a post by you. I love that you're in China and I love that you're loving things happening in your life right now. I love reading about your adventures. And I really love you. ALSO. Can I be with you when you come back to the States and have to stop at Cafe Rio for their good ice? haha
ReplyDelete