September 29, 2011

Every generation gets a chance to change the world.

Coming back to Jerusalem after our week adventure in Turkey felt good. Like coming home. Despite the sudden inundation of classes and homework, I made sure to get out in the city. I love how I can finally find my way around most of the Old City.

Yesterday, I went out to the Old City with Eliza, Shalyn, Kristine, and Tiffany. We rushed over to the Dome of the Rock and barely made it before the guards' lunch break. It was my first time there and even though I've seen the Dome of the Rock in pictures, it still was a little unreal. I had never fully appreciated the blue decorated tiles all around the structure and the sun was shining perfectly on the golden dome. Also, there were very few people there, so it was very peaceful and quiet.

First time seeing the Dome.
I love the contrasting blues and golds. 
Me, Eliza, Tiffany, and Kristine. 
After the Dome of the Rock, we meandered through the Jewish Quarter. The Jews are currently celebrating Rosh Hashanah, their start to the New Year. Hey, this would be a perfect time to make some goals. You only have to keep them until January 1st! We stumbled across this sign at the entrance to a home close to the Western Wall. 


Yeah for Fiddler on the Roof. :) "Tradition!" has been stuck in my head ever since. You're welcome.

Our final stop was for some challah at a local bakery. This is bread that the Jews make on Shabbat and holidays. It is a specially braided sweet bread and tastes absolutely delicious. I will have to restrain myself from eating challah every Sabbath ;)


Me and Eliza outside the bakery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment