April 5, 2012

those canaan days we used to know.

Where have they gone? Where diiiiiiiiiiiiiiid they go?


Sigh. This past week being Passover has brought a flood of memories back from Jerusalem. And then my roommate made a Seder meal for her dinner group and I almost started crying. Almost. 

So, I thought I'd reminisce about the Seder that we had in Jerusalem. Because it was legit. It involved singing in Hebrew, eating [nasty] bitter herbs, watching a hilarious rap by some JC boys, and let's not forget drinking the grape juice. I'm grinning just thinking about the night.

Our table, with the infamous grape juice and the Hebrew books we
used to follow along with all the prayers, stories, etc. 
Just enjoying ourselves in the Oasis.
Close up of the traditional Seder meal. Bitter herbs=the harshness of the
slavery in Egypt that the Jews experienced. Charoset (apples + nuts)= the
mortar used by the Jewish slaves in Egypt. Roasted lamb leg=the
sacrificial lamb. Hard boiled egg=sacrifice offered in the temple.
Ha. I did learn something on my study abroad. 
Jared, me and Danielle. We look normal, right?
Um. Not quite. We blame the evening on the "grape juice."
Our Jewish Studies professor, Ophir. 
 Next year in Jerusalem! (Seriously, though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment