![]() |
| source. |
So, continuing the hectic pace of the past week, I raced up to campus to not be late for work. My mind was running through the endless list of things I had to do for the week. I got right up to the corner of the Clyde building when I heard the music. What the, I thought. But don't worry, I wasn't going crazy. It was the national anthem. I've just never been on campus early enough in the morning to hear it. As soon as it started, everyone stopped walking and faced the general direction of the flag. At first I was a little annoyed about stopping, but the longer the national anthem played, the more I realized how grateful I was for this little reminder to slow down and breathe. Into my mind started flooding all these things that make my life wonderful. It was warm outside. Birds were chirping in the trees. My backpack was lighter then usual. I had a lunch packed for my job. Hey, I actually had a job! And the anthem was playing the final chord and everyone was honoring the U.S. by standing so still and I wanted to shout out loud that I loved America! Ok, that's taking it a little too far. :)
The song ended, everyone started walking again, and my day was ten times better. It's amazing those little moments that can change your whole day for the better.
Coincidentally enough, the song Vienna by Billy Joel popped into my head shortly after this experience, and it's been there all day. I thought I'd share some of the lyrics because they describe my feelings perfectly right now.
Slow down, you crazy child
you're so ambitious for a juvenile
But then if you're so smart, tell me
Why are you still so afraid?
Where's the fire, what's the hurry about?
You'd better cool it off before you burn it out
You've got so much to do and
Only so many hours in a day
But you know that when the truth is told..
That you can get what you want or you can just get old
You're gonna kick off before you even
Get halfway through
When will you realize, Vienna waits for you?
Slow down, you crazy child
and take the phone off the hook and disappear for awhile
it's all right, you can afford to lose a day or two
When will you realize...Vienna waits for you?
![]() |
| source. |
For fast-acting relief, try slowing down.
~Lily Tomlin


I'm in love. With your blog. With this song that I had forgotten about. With your hilarity. And with you. haha those lyrics are powerful. Thanks for sharing them. I feel like they pertain to me as well. AND I didn't know that they played the Pledge of Allegiance. That's presh. haha but seriously, I've been listening to Vienna since I read this blog an hour or so ago. Thanks. :) The only thing that could make it better would be if we were in the cave together, watching the sunset over Jerusalem. Let's go back.
ReplyDeletep.s. I like your mormon.org button. :)
ReplyDelete